The American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients are over the age of 21! Many adults are choosing to perfect their smile for both cosmetic and functional purposes. We now understand that not only are straight teeth beautiful, but healthier! Many adults are discouraged by the thought of having big, bulky braces. Today’s orthodontic treatment offers many varieties that are more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.
Adults Are Choosing Orthodontic Treatment Because:
- Teeth are crowded or have extra space
- Tooth decay or periodontal disease due to crowded teeth
- Abnormal jaw pain or discomfort caused by misaligned teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and more confident smile
- Teeth do not come together properly
- Worn or missing teeth. When teeth are misaligned they do not come into contact with each other properly and cause wearing
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen
Watch to Learn More on the Process:
There are many benefits to orthodontic treatment as an adult and it is never too late! Teeth that are not aligned properly are very difficult to brush and floss. As adult, this often causes tooth decay and periodontal disease. These conditions continue to get worse over time and do not fix themselves unless the cause of the problem is addressed!
There are some differences in orthodontic treatment as an adult versus as an adolescent. The main difference is that the jawbone in an adult is done growing, which could require orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. In a child, the jawbones can be manipulated because they are still developing.